16 December 2016

Angel Catbird - Margaret Atwood, Johnnie Christmas, Tamra Bonvillain

I was disappointed in this book.  I like Margaret Atwood.  I generally like graphic novels.  But this book didn't live up to my expectations.

Margaret Atwood is a brilliant writer, and the premise behind this book was interesting - a gene-splicing formula spills, combining the DNA of a human, a cat, and an owl.  But beyond that, the plot spilled over into cliches with stilted dialogue.

I can't figure out who the target of this book is intended to be.  Maybe adults with nostalgia for the superhero comics of their childhood?  The plot and execution didn't appeal to my adult self, but the "cat facts" at the bottom of several pages definitely aren't geared towards children.

I did enjoy the artwork for the most part, but again, I found it very cliched.

I won't be reading the rest of the series as it is released.

(book 8/13 in the Canadian Book Challenge hosted by The Book Mine Set)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I agree with everything you've said -- who's the audience? why the 'cat facts'? I won't continue with it either.

    ReplyDelete